Ph.D. Student, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University
M.S. Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering, Korea University, 2011
B.S. Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering, Korea University, 2009
Chanhee is a fifth-year graduate student in the research group of Professor Menachem Elimelech in the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering at Yale. His research focuses on the development of novel desalination membranes for efficient and sustainable treatment of challenging industrial wastewaters.
Chanhee received his B.S. and M.S. degrees from Korea University, Seoul, South Korea. In his research at Korea University, he analyzed fouling mechanisms unique to the forward osmosis (FO) membrane process, and contributed to the elucidation of performance deterioration during FO membrane filtration.
For first-year special investigation research, Chanhee dealt with closed-loop membrane-based processes for converting waste heat to energy. He investigated the performance as well as unique properties of emerging draw solutions including trimethylamine-carbon dioxide thermolytic solution and lithium chloride-methanol organic-based osmotic solution to enhance the energy production efficiency of the osmotic heat engine process.
Currently, Chanhee is involved in the NEWT (Nanosystems Engineering Research Center for Nanotechnology-Enabled Water Treatment) program, where he is striving to develop advanced desalination membranes with special surface wettabilities. By engineering surface chemistry and nanostructure, he fabricated a novel omniphobic membrane which repels both water and low surface tension liquids for extended membrane distillation application in the treatment of challenging wastewaters.
Outside of the lab, Chanhee enjoys indoor and outdoor sports including soccer, volleyball, and softball. Chanhee is the reigning Elimelech Group Ping-Pong champion.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Chanhee Boo, Jongho Lee, and Menachem Elimelech, “Engineering Surface Energy and Nanostructure of Microporous Films for Expanded Membrane Distillation Application”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 50 (2016) 8112-8119
- Chanhee Boo, Jongho Lee, and Menachem Elimelech, “Omniphobic Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) Membrane for Desalination of Shale Gas Produced Water by Membrane Distillation”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 50 (2016) 12275-12282
- Chanhee Boo, Yehia F. Khalil, and Menachem Elimelech, “Performance Evaluation of Trimethylamine-Carbon Dioxide Thermolytic Draw Solution for Engineered Osmosis”, Journal of Membrane Science, 473 (2015) 302-309
- Chanhee Boo, Menachem Elimelech, and Seungkwan Hong, “Fouling control in forward osmosis process integrating seawater desalination and wastewater reclamation”, Journal of Membrane Science, 444 (2013) 148-156
- Chanhee Boo, Sangyoup Lee, Menachem Elimelech, Zhiyong Meng, and Seungkwan Hong, “Colloidal fouling in forward osmosis: Role of reverse salt diffusion”, Journal of Membrane Science, 390-391 (2012) 277-284
- Evyatar Shaulsky,† Chanhee Boo,† Shihong Lin, and Menachem Elimelech, “Membrane-Based Osmotic Heat Engine with Organic Solvent for Enhanced Efficiency”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 49 (2015) 5820-5827 (†First-Co Author)
- Siamak Nejati†, Chanhee Boo†, Chinedum Osuji, Menachem Elimelech, “Engineering flat sheet microporous PVDF films for membrane distillation”, Journal of membrane science, 492 (2015) 355-363 (†First-Co Author)
- Jongho Lee, Chanhee Boo, Won-Hee Ryu, André D. Taylor and Menachem Elimelech “Development of Omniphobic Desalination Membrane Using a Charged Electrospun Nanofiber Scaffold”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8 (2016) 11154-11161
- Xinglin Lu, Chanhee Boo, Jun Ma, and Menachem Elimelech, “Bidirectional Diffusion of Ammonium and Sodium Cations in Forward Osmosis: Role of Membrane Active Layer Surface Chemistry and Charge”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 48 (2014) 14369-14376
- Sangyoup Lee, Chanhee Boo, Menachem Elimelech, and Seungkwan Hong, “Comparison of fouling behavior in forward osmosis (FO) and reverse osmosis (RO), Journal of Membrane Science 365 (2011) 34-39
- Shihong Lin, Siamak Nejati, Chanhee Boo, Yunxia Hu, Chinedum Osuji, Menachem Elimelech, “Omniphobic Membrane for Robust Membrane Distillation”, Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett., 1 (11) (2014) 443-447
- Minkyu Park, Jijung Lee, Chanhee Boo, Seungkwan Hong, Shane A. Snyder, Joonha Kim, “Modeling of colloidal fouling in forward osmosis membrane: Effects of reverse draw solution permeation”, Desalination, 314 (2013) 115-123