Ph.D. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2020
M.S. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Manitoba, 2012
Mohammad “Mosi” obtained his B.S in mechanical engineering from the University of Manitoba, Canada, in 2012 and his PhD in theoretical and applied mechanics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2020. He worked on his M.S. and Ph.D. under the supervision of Professor Narayana R. Aluru. Currently, Mohammad is fulfilling his postdoctoral associate position with Professor Menachem Elimelech in the department of chemical and environmental engineering at Yale University. Mohammad’s research is focused on designing novel advanced materials to solve challenges in water, energy, and disease diagnosis. Using extensive atomistic simulations, he studies the properties of different systems in nanoscale to understand their underlying fundamental physics. He applies this knowledge to engineer advanced materials for applications in water purification, ion separation, electricity production, and molecule detection.
Outside of research, Mohammad enjoys traveling to scenic destinations. He loves to appreciate nature with friends and family by taking frequent hiking trips, astronomy, and cave tours. If given the remote, he will almost always choose a historical documentary and prides himself in never missing a game during the FIFA World Cup.
pdfs and supporting information for group papers available on the main publications page.
- Heiranian, M., Taquidin, A., Aluru, N. R. “Revisiting Sampson’s theory for flow in ultrathin nanopores,” Physical Review Research. 2020, 2(4), 043153.
- Taquidin, A., Heiranian, M., Aluru, N. R. “Interfacial properties of water on hydrogenated and fluorinated graphene surfaces,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 2020, 124(39), 21467-21475.
- Snapp, P., Heiranian, M., Hwang, M., Bashir, R., Aluru, N. R., Nam, S. “Current understanding and emerging applications of 3D crumpling mediated 2D material-liquid interactions,” Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science. 2020, 24(3), 100836.
- Hwang, M., Heiranian, M., Kim, Y., You, S., Leem, J., Taqieddin, A., Faramarzi, V., Jing, Y., Park, J., van der Zande, A., Nam, S., Aluru, N. R., Bashir, R. “Ultrasensitive detection of nucleic acids using deformed graphene channel field effect biosensors,” Nature Communications. 2020, 11(1), 1-11.
- Heiranian, M., Aluru, N. R. “Nanofluidic transport theory with enhancement factors approaching one,” ACS Nano. 2019, 14(1), 272-281.
- Kwon, S. S., Choi, J., Heiranian, M., Kim, Y., Chang, W. J., Knapp, P., Wang, M. C., Aluru, N. R., Park, W. I. “Electrical double layer of supported atomically-thin materials,” Nano Letters. 2019, 19(7), 4588-4593.
- Nandigana, V., Heiranian, M., Aluru., N. R. “Single ion transport with a single-layer graphene nanopore,” International Journal of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering. 2019, 13(7), 479-483.
- Zhang, Y., Heiranian, M., Janicek, B., Budrikis, Z., Zapperi, S., Huang, P., Johnson, H. T., Aluru, N. R., Lyding, J. W., Mason, N. “Strain modulation of graphene by nanoscale substrate curvatures: a molecular view,” Nano Letters. 2018, 18(3), 2098-2104.
- Farimani, A. B., Heiranian, M., Aluru, N. R. “Identification of amino acids with sensitive nanoporous MoS2: towards machine learning-based prediction,” npj 2D Materials and Applications. 2018, 2(1), 1-9.
- Heiranian, M., Wu, Y., Aluru, N. R. “Molybdenum disulﬁde and water interaction parameters,” The Journal of Chemical Physics. 2017, 147(10), 104706.
- Barati Farimani, A., Heiranian, M., Min, K., Aluru, N. R. “Antibody subclass detection using graphene nanopores,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters. 2017, 8(7), 1670-1676.
- Feng, J. D., Graf, M., Liu, K., Ovchinnikov, D., Dumcenco, D., Heiranian,M., Nandigana, V., Aluru, N. R., Kis, A., Radenovic, A. “Single-layer MoS2nanopores as nanopower generators,” Nature. 2016, 536(7615), 197-200.
- Farimani, A. B., Heiranian, M., Aluru, N. R. “Nano-electro-mechanical pump: Giant pumping of water in carbon nanotubes,” Scientific Reports. 2016, 6(1), 1-6.
- Heiranian, M., Farimani, A. B., Aluru, N. R. “Water desalination with a single-layer MoS2nanopore,” Nature Communications. 2015, 6(1), 1-6.
- Farimani, A. B., Heiranian, M., Aluru, N. R. “Electromechanical signatures for DNA sequencing through a mechanosensitive nanopore,” Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters. 2015, 6(4), 650-657.
- Venkatesan, G. A., Lee, J., Farimani, A. B., Heiranian, M., Collier, C. P., Aluru, N. R., Sarles, S. A. “Adsorption kinetics dictate mono layer self-assembly for both lipid-in and lipid-out approaches to droplet interface bilayer formation,” Langmuir. 2015, 31(47), 12883-12893.