Ph.D. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2020
M.S. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Manitoba, 2012
Download CV Google Scholar Profile
Mohammad “Mosi” obtained his B.S in mechanical engineering from the University of Manitoba, Canada, in 2012 and his PhD in theoretical and applied mechanics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2020. He worked on his M.S. and Ph.D. under the supervision of Professor Narayana R. Aluru. Currently, Mosi is fulfilling his postdoctoral associate position with Professor Menachem Elimelech in the department of chemical and environmental engineering at Yale University. Mosi’s research is focused on designing novel advanced materials to solve challenges in water, energy, and disease diagnosis. Using extensive atomistic simulations, he studies the properties of different systems in nanoscale to understand their underlying fundamental physics. He applies this knowledge to engineer advanced materials for applications in water purification, ion separation, electricity production, and molecule detection.
Outside of research, Mosi enjoys traveling to scenic destinations. He loves to appreciate nature with friends and family by taking frequent hiking trips, astronomy, and cave tours. If given the remote, he will almost always choose a historical documentary and prides himself in never missing a game during the FIFA World Cup.
pdfs and supporting information for group papers available on the main publications page.
- M. Heiranian and N. R. Aluru, “Modified Lucas-Washburn theory for fluid filling in nanotubes”, Physical Review E, Vol. 105 , No. 5, Art. No. 055105, 2022.
- M. Heiranian, R. M. DuChanois, C. L. Ritt, C. Violet, M. Elimelech, “Molecular simulations to elucidate transport phenomena in polymeric membranes”, Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 3313-3323, 2022.
- R. M.DuChanois, M. Heiranian, J. Yang, C. Porter, X. Zhang, M. Elimelech, “Designing polymeric membranes with coordination chemistry for high-precision ion separations”, Science Advances, Vol. 8, No. 9, Art. No. eabm9436, 2022.
- X. Zhou, M. Heiranian, M. Yang, R. Epsztein, K. Gong, C. E. White, S. Hu, J. Kim, M. Elimelech, “Selective fuoride transport in sub-nanometer TiO2 pores”, ACS Nano, Vol. 15 , No. 10 , pp. 16828-16838, 2021.
- L. Song, M. Heiranian, and M. Elimelech, “True driving force and characteristics of water transport in osmotic membranes”, Desalination, Vol. 15, No. 520, Art. No. 115360, 2021.
- M. T. Hwang, I. Park, M. Heiranian, A. Taqieddin, S. You, V. Faramarzi, A. A. Pak, A. M. van der Zande, N. R. Aluru, R. Bashir, “Ultrasensitive detection of dopamine, IL-6 and SARS-CoV-2 proteins on crumpled graphene FET biosensor”, Advanced Materials Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 11, Art. No. 2100712, 2021.
- M. Heiranian, Y. Noh, and N. R. Aluru, “Dynamic and weak electric double layers in ultrathin nanopores”, Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 154, No. 13, Art. No. 134703, 2021.
- M. Heiranian, A. Taqieddin and N. R. Aluru, “Revisiting Sampson’s theory for hydrodynamic transport in ultrathin nanopores”, Physical Review Research, Vol. 2, No. 4, Art. No. 043153, 2020.
- A. Taqieddin, M. Heiranian and N. R. Aluru, “Interfacial properties of water on hydrogenated and fuorinated graphene surfaces: parametrization of nonbonded interactions”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 124, No. 39, pp. 21467-21475, 2020.
- M. Heiranian and N. R. Aluru, “Nanouidic transport theory with enhancement factors approaching one”, ACS Nano, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 272-281, 2020.
- M. T. Hwang*, M. Heiranian*, Y. Kim*, S. You, J. Leem, A. Taqieddin, V. Faramarzi, Y. Jing, I. Park, A. M. van der Zande, S. Nam, N. R. Aluru, R. Bashir, “Ultrasensitive detection of nucleic acids using deformed graphene channel field effect biosensors”, Nature Communications, Vol. 11, Art. No. 1543, 2020. (*these authors contributed equally to this work).
- P. Snapp*, M. Heiranian*, M. T. Hwang*, R. Bashir, N. R. Aluru, S. Nam, “Current understanding and emerging applications of 3D crumpling mediated 2D material-liquid interactions”, Current Opinion in Solid State Materials Science, Vol. 24, No. 3, Art. No. 100836, 2020. (*these authors contributed equally to this work).
- S. S. Kwon, J. Choi, M. Heiranian, Y. Kim, W. J. Chang, P. M. Knapp, M. C. Wang, J. M. Kim, N. R. Aluru, W. Il Park, S. Nam, “Electrical double layer of supported atomically thin materials”, Nano Letters, Vol. 19, No. 7, pp. 4588-4593, 2019.
- V. Nandigana, M. Heiranian, N. R. Aluru, “Single ion transport with a single-Layer graphene nanopore”, International Journal of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 479-483, 2019.
- A. Barati Farimani, M. Heiranian and N. R. Aluru, “Identification of amino acids with sensitive nanoporous MoS2: towards machine learning-based prediction”, npj 2D Materials and Applications, Vol. 2, Art. No.14, 2018.
- Y. Zhang, M. Heiranian, B. Janicek, Z. Budrikis, S. Zapperi, P. Y. Huang, H. T. Johnson, N. R. Aluru, J. W. Lyding, and N. Mason, “Strain modulation of graphene by nanoscale substrate curvatures: a molecular view”, Nano Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 2098-2104, 2018.
- M. Heiranian, Y. Wu and N. R. Aluru, “Molybdenum disulfide and water interaction parameters”, Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 147, No. 10, Art. No. 104706, 2017.
- A. Barati Farimani, M. Heiranian, K. Min and N. R. Aluru, “Antibody subclass detection using graphene nanopores”, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 1670-1676, 2017.
- J. Feng, M. Graf, K. Liu, D. Ovchinnikov, D. Dumcenco, M. Heiranian, V. Nandigana, N. R. Aluru, A. Kis and A. Radenovic, “Single-layer MoS2 nanopores as nanopower generators”, Nature, Vol. 536, No.7615, pp. 197-200, 2016.
- A. Barati Farimani, M. Heiranian and N. R. Aluru, “Nano-electro-mechanical pump: Giant pumping of water in carbon nanotubes”, Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, Art. No. 26211, 2016.
- G. A. Venkatesan, J. Lee, A. Barati Farimani, M. Heiranian, C. P. Collier, N. R. Aluru and S. A. Sarles, “Adsorption kinetics dictate monolayer self-assembly for both lipid-in and lipid-out approaches to droplet interface bilayer formation”, Langmuir, Vol. 31, No. 47, pp. 12883-12893, 2015.
- M. Heiranian, A. Barati Farimani and N. R. Aluru, “Water desalination with a single-layer MoS2 nanopore”, Nature Communications, Vol. 6, Art. No. 8616, 2015.
- A. Barati Farimani*, M. Heiranian* and N. R. Aluru, “Electromechanical signatures for DNA sequencing through a mechanosensitive nanopore”, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 650-657, 2015. (*these authors contributed equally to this work).