Ph.D. Candidate, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University
M.S., Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2019
M. Phil. Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2019
M. Phil. Engineering for Sustainable Development, University of Cambridge, 2017
B.S. Civil Engineering, University of Arkansas, 2016
Ryan is interested in using synthetic membranes to improve the sustainability of water treatment, electrical energy generation, and energy storage technologies. Many technologies at the water-energy nexus require precise separations between species of similar physicochemical characteristics, which conventional polymeric membranes have limited ability to accomplish. Ryan takes inspiration from biological channels and seeks to create a synthetic membrane that is able to exclusively transport a single ionic species. Ryan is financially supported by an American Water Works Association Abel Wolman Fellowship.
Prior to Yale, Ryan received a B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Arkansas and was the College of Engineering’s top graduate. Ryan also was a Gates Cambridge Scholar at the University of Cambridge, where he completed an M.Phil. in Engineering for Sustainable Development and received the London Water Conservator’s Best Dissertation Prize. During his undergraduate and master’s degrees, his research focused primarily on water service provision in low- and middle-income countries. He worked on point-of-use ceramic water filters for applications in rural South Africa through an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates. While at Cambridge, the aim of his dissertation was to determine causal factors of intermittent water services in rural Bangladesh, Pakistan, Ethiopia, and Mozambique.
Aside from engineering, Ryan enjoys the outdoors and sports. He likes running, road biking, and ultimate frisbee. He enjoys hiking in the mountains surrounding Connecticut on the weekends.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Zuo, K., Wang, K., DuChanois, R.M., Fang, Q., Deemer, E.V., Huang, X., Abdallah, I., Xin, R., Walker, W.S., Lou, J., Elimelech, M., Huang, X., Li, Q. “Selective membranes in water and wastewater treatment: Role of advanced materials,” Materials Today. 2021. In press. DOI: 10.1016/j.mattod.2021.06.013
- DuChanois, R.M., Porter, C.J., Violet, C., Verduzco, R., Elimelech, M. “Membrane Materials for Selective Ion Separations at the Water-Energy Nexus,” Advanced Materials. 2021. 2101312. DOI: 10.1002/adma.202101312
- Yao, Y., Zhang, P., Jiang, C., DuChanois, R.M., Zhang, X., Elimelech, M. “High performance polyester reverse osmosis desalination membrane with chlorine resistance,” Nature Sustainability. 2021. 4, 138-146. DOI: 10.1038/s41893-020-00619-w
- Wang, L., Violet, C., DuChanois, R.M., Elimelech, M. “Derivation of the Theoretical Minimum Energy of Separation of Desalination Processes,” Journal of Chemical Education. 2020. 97 (12), 4361-4369. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.0c01194
- Epsztein, R., DuChanois, R.M., Ritt, C.L., Noy, A., Elimelech, M. “Towards single-species selectivity of membranes with sub-nanometre pores,” Nature Nanotechnology. 2020. 15, 426-436. DOI: 10.1038/s41565- 020-0713-6
- Sigurðardóttir, S.B., DuChanois, R.M., Epsztein, R., Pinelo, M., Elimelech, M. “Energy barriers to anion transport in nanofiltration membranes: Role of intra-pore diffusion,” Journal of Membrane Science. 2020. 603, 117921. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2020.117921
- Bollman, M., DeSantis, G., DuChanois, R.M., Etten-Bohm, M., Olszyk, D., Lambrinos, J., Mayer, P. “Optimizing hydrologic performance of green roof media,” Ecological Engineering. 2019. 140, 105589. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoleng.2019.105589
- DuChanois, R.M., Liddle, L., Fenner, R., Jeuland, M., Evans, B., Cumming, O., Zaman, R. U., Mujica-Pereira, A.V., Ross, I., Gribble, M.O., Brown, J. “Factors Associated with Continuous Water Services for the Rural Populations of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Ethiopia, and Mozambique,” Environmental Science & Technology.2019, 53 (8), 4355-4363. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.8b07173
- DuChanois, R.M., Epsztein, R., Trivedi, J.A., Elimelech, M., “Controlling pore structure of polyelectrolyte multilayer nanofiltration membranes by tuning polyelectrolyte–salt interactions,” Journal of Membrane Science. 2019, 581, 413-420. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2019.03.077
- Liu, J., Cheng, S., Cao, N., Geng, C., He, C., Shi, Q., Xu, C., Ni, J., DuChanois, R.M., Elimelech, M., Zhao, H. “Actinia-like multifunctional nanocoagulant for single-step removal of water contaminants,” Nature Nanotechnology. 2019, 14 (1), 64-71. DOI: 10.1038/s41565-018-0307-8