Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, Korea University, 2020
M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University, 2012
B.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering, Chung-Ang University, 2008
Download CV Google Scholar Profile
Yonguk has been a Postdoctoral Fellow of Prof. Menachem Elimelech’s group since August 2021 at Yale University. He is currently working as a Postdoc researcher in an electrosorption technology project for selective deionization at Yale.
He obtained his Ph.D. degree at Korea University. His fields of research are (i) investigation of mechanisms for electrochemical advanced oxidation processes, (ii) fabrication of potent electro-catalysts and (iii) electrochemistry-based remediation system (especially the novel flow-electrode capacitive deionization process). Further, he got his master degree at Yonsei University where he worked on removal efficiency of nitrate in groundwater using hollow-fiber membrane biofilm reactor. He received his bachelor degree from Chung-Ang University in South Korea.
Outsides the lab, Yonguk spends much of night time with his family by zoom, as they are now staying in Korea, and he also enjoys K-POP, exercise, especially running, traveling, and watching Netflix.
pdfs and supporting information for group papers available on the main publications page.
- Shin, Y.-U., Lim, J.H., Hong, S.K., Integrating electrochemical oxidation and flow-electrode capacitive deionization for enhanced organic degradation and perchlorate removal in high salinity waters. Water Research, Submitted.
- Shin, Y.-U., Lim, J.H., Hong, S.K., Electrochemical Degradation of Organic Pollutants Coupled with Oxidants Activation using a Black Phosphorus Anode. In preparation.
- Shin, Y.-U., Lim, J.H., Hong, S.K., Novel TiO2 nanotube arrays for trace organic pollutant degradation coupled with flow-electrode capacitive deionization for low-energy desalination of brackish water” npj clean water. Submitted.
- Shin, Y.-U., Lim, J.H., Hong, S.K., Aqueous electrolyte effect of capacitive deionization of flow electrode using desulfurized wastewater and improvement of desalination treatment capacity. In preparation.
- Lim, J.H., Shin, Y.-U., Hong, S.K., Perovskite solar cell-Flow electrode capacitive deionization (FCDI): High performance, Energy minimization strategies, biochar assessment and applications via contaminated groundwater. In preparation.
- Kim, Y.L., Lee., H.S., Shin, Y.-U., Lee, J.S., Reaction pathway of organic pollutant decomposition under periodate anolyte using BDD electrode. In preparation.
- Shin, Y.-U., Lim, J.H., Boo, C.H., Hong, S.K., Improving the Applicability and Feasibility of Flow-Electrode Capacitive Deionization (FCDI): A Review on Process Optimization and Energy Efficiency. Desalination, Apr. 2021
- Shin, Y.-U., Yun, E.-T., K, J.H., Hong, S.K., Lee, J.S., An Electrolysis-Membrane Distillation Hybrid Process: Utilizing Electric Resistance Heating for Distillation and Anodically Formed Persulfate for Membrane Fouling and Wetting Mitigation. Environmental Science and Technology, Jan. 2020.
- Shin, Y.-U., Yoo, H.-Y., Ahn, Y.-Y., Kim, M.S., Lee, K., Yu, S.H., Lee, C.H., Cho, K.W., Kim, H.-I., Lee, J.S., Electrochemical Oxidation of Organics in Sulfate Solutions on Boron-Doped Diamond Electrode: Multiple Pathways for Sulfate Radical Generation. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Oct. 2019.
- Shin, Y.-U., Yoo, H.-Y., Kim, S.H., Chung, K.M., Park, Y.-G., Hwang, K.-H., Hong, S.W., Park, H.W., Cho, K.W., Lee, J.S., Sequential Combination of Electro-Fenton and Electrochemical Chlorination Processes for Treatment of Anaerobically-Digested Food Wastewater. Environmental Science and Technology, Sep. 2017.