Visiting Student, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University
Ph.D. Student, Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China
M.D. Municipal Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, 2014
B.S. Materials Chemistry, Harbin Engineering University, Harbin, China, 2012
In 2011, Wei participated in her first primary research project, directed by associate Professor Jun Shen, using cellulose derivative to separate chiral pharmaceuticals. This project was supported by her undergraduate school, Harbin Engineering University.
In 2012, Wei did some work about membrane fouling in forward osmosis process as her undergraduate thesis under the guidance of Professor Jun Ma. That was the first time she learned the basic theory of FO, especially the fouling behavior of humic acid, BSA and sodium alginate on the surface of CTA membrane in both PRO and FO modes. This thesis was named as the outstanding thesis by her undergraduate college.
From 2013 to 2014, with the guidance of Prof. Ma and Dr. Zhenghui Wang, some interesting work was completed in Wei’s master’s project. They obtained some uniform and honeycomb-like pores on polymer films by the addition of nonvolatile organic molecules.
From the fall of 2015 to 2016, Wei focused her study on FO. Some behaviors of ion bidirectional transport behavior in FO process were investigated, and Dr. Xinglin Lu gave Wei much help and guidance.
To further understand the mass transport mechanisms in membrane filtration processes, Wei came to Prof. Menachem Elimelech’s group. Her research will focus on membrane fabrication and modification.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Lu, D.; Cheng, W.; Zhang, T.; Hydrophilic Fe2O3 dynamic membrane mitigating fouling of support ceramic membrane in ultrafiltration of oil/water emulsion. Separation and Purification Technology. 2016, 165: 1-9.
- Wang, Z.; Cheng, W.; Liu, C.; Ma, J.; Zhang, W.; Li, J. Diffuse-in/condense-out behavior of glycerol induces formation of composite membranes with uniform pores. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. 2015,301(1):36-41.
- Wang, Z.; Cheng, W.; Ma, J. Seeding nuclei for the phase-separation of cellulose acetate solution. Journal of Membrane Science. 2015, 489, 129-134.
- Wang, Z.; Cheng, W.; Liu, C.; Ma, J.; Li, J. Condensed low-volatile alcohol droplet-directed uniform pore formation on polystyrene films. Macromolecular Chemistry and Physic. 2015, 216, (15), 1638-1645.
- Wang, Z.; Cheng, W.; Ma, J.; Wang, P. Condensed solute droplets templated honeycomb pattern on polymer films. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2014, 436, 16-8.