Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Geneva, 2019
M.S. Polymer Chemistry and Physics, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2014
B.S. Polymer Materials and Engineering, Taiyuan University of Technology, 2011
Tianchi Cao is currently working as a postdoctoral fellow in Prof. Elimelech’s group at Yale University. He is working on the mechanism of the mineral scaling involved in the process of membrane desalination.
Prior to coming to Yale University, Tianchi obtained his PhD degree at the University of Geneva, Switzerland, under the supervision of Prof. Michal Borkovec. During his doctoral study, his research focused on physical and analytical chemistry of colloids and surfaces. Specifically, he investigated the homo- and heteroaggregation processes in the colloidal suspension by the method of light scattering techniques.
Before attending the University of Geneva, he got his master degree at University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, where he worked on poly(ethylene terephthalate)/layered double hydroxides nanocomposites. He received his bachelor degree from Taiyuan University of Technology in China.
Outside of work, Tianchi enjoys playing basketball, football and travelling.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Cao, T., Trefalt, G., Borkovec, M., Measuring slow heteroaggregation rates with time-resolved multi-angle dynamic light scattering. Submitted to Journal of Colloid and Interface Science.
- Rouster, P., Pavlovic, M., Cao, T., Katana, B., Szilagyi, I., Stability of titania nanomaterials in the presence of ionic liquids of different alkyl chain lengths. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2019, 20, 12966-12974.
- Wang, L., Sadler, S., Cao, T., Xie, X., Bakker, E., Simplified fabrication for ion-selective optical emulsion sensor with hydrophobic solvatochromic dye as the transducer. Analytical Chemistry, 2019, 91, 14, 8973-8978.
- Cao, T., Trefalt, G., Borkovec, M., Aggregation of colloidal particles in the presence of hydrophobic anions: importance of attractive non-DLVO forces. Langmuir, 2018, 34, 14368-14377.
- Sugimoto, T., Cao, T., Szilagyi, I., Borkovec, M., Trefalt, G., Aggregation and charging of sulfate and amidine latex particles in the presence of oxyanions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2018, 524, 456-464.
- Wang, L., Xie, X., Cao, T., Bosset, J., Bakker, E., Surface doped polystyrene microsensors containing lipophilic solvatochromic dye transducers. Chemistry - A European Journal, 2018, 24, 1-6.
- Cao, T., Sugimoto, T., Szilagyi, I., Trefalt, G., Borkovec, M., Heteroaggregation of oppositely charged particles in the presence of multivalent ions. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2017,19, 15160-15171.
- Cao, T., Szilagyi, I., Oncsik, T., Borkovec, M., Trefalt, G., Aggregation of colloidal particles in the presence of multivalent co-ions: the inverse Schulze-Hardy rule. Langmuir, 2015, 31, 6610-6614.
- Cao, T., Yang, F., Chen, G., Guo, C., Effect of photofunctional organo anion-intercalated layered double hydroxide nanoparticles on poly(ethylene terephthalate) nonisothermal crystallization kinetics. Reactive and Functional Polymers, 2014, 83, 1-6.
- Cao, T., Xu, K., Chen, G., Guo, C., Poly(ethylene terephthalate) nanocomposites with a strong UV-shielding function using UV-absorber intercalated layered double hydroxides. RSC Advances, 2013, 3, 6282-6285.
- Cao, T., Chen, G., Guo, C., Poly(ethylene terephthalate)/layered double hydroxides nanocomposites. Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities, 2013, 34, 2239-2246.