Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Concordia University, 2018
M.S. Environmental Engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing, 2013
B.S. Environmental Engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing, 2010
Wen Ma has been a Postdoctoral Fellow of Prof. Menachem Elimelech’s research group in the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering since January 2019.
She received her PhD degree from Concordia University (Quebec, Canada) in October 2018. In her doctoral research, she mainly focused on developing antibiofouling membranes used for reverse osmosis process by using nanoparticles and functional polymer. Wen also participated in projects that applying bimetallic nanoparticles to remove chlorine-based pollutant in water.
Wen completed her M.S. and B.S. in Environmental Engineering at University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB). There, her major experience was related to the treatment of heavy metal ions contaminated wastewater and the recovering iron from solid waste produced in mining process.
Outsides the lab, Wen spends time with her husband and enjoys traveling, sports, watching movies and cooking.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Ma, W., Chen, T., Nannni, S., Yang, L., Ye, Zhi., Rahaman, M. S., Zwitterion functionalized graphene oxide incorporated membrane with improved antifouling properties. Langmuir, Oct. 2018.
- Tabrizian, P., Ma, W., Bakr, A., Rahaman, M. S., pH-sensitive and magnetically separable Fe/Cu bimetallic nanoparticles supported by graphene oxide (GO) for high-efficiency removal of tetracyclines, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 534, 549-562 (co-first author), Sep. 2018.
- Ma, W., Panecka, M., Tufenkji, N., Rahaman, M. S., Bacteriophage-based strategies for biofouling control in ultrafiltration: in situ biofouling mitigation, biocidal additives and biofilm cleanser, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 523, 254-265, Feb. 2018.
- Ma, W., Soroush, A., Tran V.A.L, Rahaman, M.S., Cysteamine- and Graphene Oxide-Mediated Copper Nanoparticle Decoration on Reverse Osmosis Membrane for Enhanced Anti-Microbial Performance, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 50, 330-340, Mar. 2017.
- Ma, W., Soroush, A., Tran V.A.L, Brennan, G., *Rahaman, M.S., Asadishad, B., Tufenkji, N., Spray- and spin-assisted layer-by-layer assembly of copper nanoparticles on thin-film composite reverse osmosis membrane for biofouling mitigation, Water Research, 99, 188-199, Apr. 2016.
- Ma, W., Rahaman, M.S., and Therien-Aubin, H., Controlling biofouling of reverse osmosis membranes through surface modification via grafting patterned polymer brushes, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 5 (3), 326-334. Feb. 2015.
- Soroush, A., Ma, W., Cyr, M., Rahaman, M.S., Asadishad, B., Tufenkji, N., In situ silver decoration on graphene oxide-treated thin film composite forward osmosis membranes: Biocidal properties and regeneration potential, Environmental Science and Technology Letter, 3 (1), 13-18, 2015.
- Soroush, A., Ma, W., Silvino, Y., Rahaman, M.S., Surface modification of thin film composite forward osmosis membrane by silver-decorated graphene-oxide nanosheets, Environmental Science Nano, 2 (4), 395-405, 2015.