Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, Columbia University, 2022
M.S. Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 2017
B.S. Environmental Science, Peking University, 2015
Download CV Google Scholar Profile
Hanqing (Han) Fan joined Prof. Menachem Elimelech’s group as a postdoctoral associate in August 2022. His research focus is on ion-selective membranes and membrane-based processes for hypersaline water.
Prior to joining the lab, He earned his Ph.D. degree in Environmental Engineering from Columbia University in 2022. His Ph.D. dissertation, advised by Prof. Ngai Yin Yip, was about developing ion-selective membrane technologies at the water-energy nexus. Before the Ph.D., he also had research experience related to environmental microbiology/biotechnology.
Outside of work, he enjoys playing guitar, running, and swimming.
pdfs and supporting information for group papers available on the main publications page.
- Fan, H., Yip, N.Y.,. Donnan Dialysis Desalination with a Thermally Recoverable Solute. ACS EST Eng. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.2c00152
- Shah, K.M., Billinge, I.H., Chen, X., Fan, H., Huang, Y., Winton, R.K., Yip, N.Y.,. Drivers, challenges, and emerging technologies for desalination of high-salinity brines: A critical review. Desalination. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2022.115827
- Fan, H., Huang, Y., Billinge, I.H., Bannon, S.M., Geise, G.M., Yip, N.Y.,. Counterion Mobility in Ion-Exchange Membranes: Spatial Effect and Valency-Dependent Electrostatic Interaction. ACS EST Eng. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.1c00457
- Boo, C., Qi, H., Billinge, I.H., Shah, K.M., Fan, H., Yip, N.Y.,. Thermomorphic Hydrophilicity Base-Induced Precipitation for Effective Descaling of Hypersaline Brines. ACS ES&T Engineering. 2021. 1, 1351–1359. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.1c00160
- Fan, H., Huang, Y., Yip, N.Y.,. Advancing the conductivity-permselectivity tradeoff of electrodialysis ion-exchange membranes with sulfonated CNT nanocomposites. Journal of Membrane Science. 2020. 610, 118259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2020.118259
- Fan, H., Yip, N.Y.,. Elucidating conductivity-permselectivity tradeoffs in electrodialysis and reverse electrodialysis by structure-property analysis of ion-exchange membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. 2019. 573, 668–681. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2018.11.045